Sunday 13 April 2014

Warlord Games - British Waterloo Metal Figures

I have decided to review the metal figures seperately, to cut down on the length of the posts.

In the Warlord Games starter army box, you get 4 metal command bags x 6 figs, one of which is Hanoverian.  You also get a bag containing a 9lb Artillery Piece and 4x crew, and a bag containing a mounted officer and horse. The Hanoverian command is reviewed elsewhere.

Warlord British Infantry Command Pack
As you can see, you get six command figures in the pack,  6 heads, 2 flag poles, 2 finials and a spare arm.

Command Figures (L-R) Sapper, Officer, Sergeant
Now I'll look at the figures in more detail. Here you can see you've got (L-R) a "Sapper" armed with an axe, an officer waving his shako in the air and a Sergeant with his arm extended. The bearded head is clearly for the Sapper and the bald head for the officer. For the Sergeant you get the choice of two arms. One holding a "Spontoon" and the other holding a cane under his arm. This certainly provides variety and is a great addition!
Command Figures (L-R) Ensign, Ensign, Drummer
Here you'll see (L-R) we have an ensign, sword arm in the air, an ensign holding a flag with two hands and a drummer. We also have two flag poles and two finials. The figures seem nice and good quality, but there is a criticism coming up.

I don't usually swear, but brace yourselves...

The ensigns hands need f**king drilling out. This kind of thing really grips my shit. The kind of people who buy masses of plastic models (like me) don't want to be drilling out hands on tiny men!

Warlords Mounted British Officer
Anyway, rant over and onto the mounted officer. Fairly standard fare here, my officer is looking through a telescope, whilst his horse grazes. I don't know if different packs have different officers? Can anyone tell me otherwise? The figure seems well sculpted and like the other metal figures are MUCH better than Warlords earlier metal figures.
Warlord British Artillery and Crew
Finally the artillery piece. Not a lot to discuss, a limber, wheels and a barrel make up the artillery piece, and there is also I believe a "handspike"?? On the sprue with the barrel. The figures themselves look like Royal Horse Artillery to me in their helmets. The figures I have are one guy with a rammer, one holding an artillery round, one holding a stick (which could be a fuse/portfire or could be a telescope?) And finally a guy with his thumb down. Presumably he is intended to stand near the vent/charge hole with his thumb in it to prevent the cannon exploding whilst rammer man does his business? (Disclaimer : I am clearly not an artilleryman)

Last but not least a review of the fact sheet, which opens out and the back is blank!! Finally this means you can cut out flags without losing text or information! The information itself isn't ground breaking and I haven't learnt anything new from reading it. However if you are new to Napoleonics then it will be useful to you.
Waterloo Line Infantry Fact Sheet
There is a wide range of flags including KGL, Guards, 27th Inniskilling and the 33rd. Decent looking flags that should do the trick for those of you starting out.
Waterloo Line Infantry Fact Sheet
Now I'd give this box set 9/10 - I'm impressed with the contents and the quality. Obviously I've not tried gluing or painting them yet - I will keep you posted! Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Good review thanks - I totally agree with you on the drilling out of hands!
    Chris
    http://notjustoldschool.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, could you tell us the list of flags ? For some reason, I can't zoom on the picture. Thank you

    ReplyDelete